I received and responded to the following email and thought that it might be of interest to others.
I've admired your blog for several years, and always look forward to reading your posts. As a father of ______, I've really appreciated the view that you have given us of your relationship with your daughter. It's honestly heartwarming to see parents that consciously put a lot of thought and energy into their kids in spite of demanding work schedules and other challenges. Thank you for that.
Anyway, I've noticed that you've purchased a number of items from Bookster, and was curious as to what your experience has been with them as a merchant. For quasi-MTM, they seem decently priced, and it looks like the quality is pretty good from the pictures that I've seen on the website and your blog. Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.”
“I’ve ported your email over to where I do most of my emailing/communicating. Here’s the deal on Bookster—at least MY deal:
1. I’ve only had them make trousers for me so far but I’m over the top pleased with the value of the garment.
2. Bespoke trousers courtesy of the likes of Flusser and London Savile Row guys are absurdly expensive. And even a guy like me who can usually rationalize anything, can’t do so on this point. That level of work/”quality” is superfluous in a pair of odd trousers/casual trousers. Why spend the money on something that doesn’t need to be THAT good.
3. I tend to speculate that their jackets would be on par with the value that I’ve assigned their trousers. I’m brimming with sportcoats and my suits rarely get worn so I’ve not had them make me a jacket yet. I’ve had feedback from a couple of people who have and they’ve been completely satisfied.
4. Regarding Fit—I’m an easy 33 waist trouser and my jackets aren’t problematic because I remain height/weight proportionate. But the Bookster stuff is cut with a high gorge and fitted waist—things that are quintessentially English and things that I love. But if I ever have them make me a jacket, I’m gonna mail them one of my best fitting sportcoats so that they can take measurements and determine my size accordingly.
5. Their delivery time is becoming slightly longer than what is stated as their average time frame. However, when you email them for a status update, they are very transparent about where they are in the process. There’s a slight delay in shipping my latest pair of Bookster trousers but I’m fine with it. Why? Because I believe them to be courteous and transparent about their workload when I enquire and finally, I’m pleased to know that they are busy and thriving.
Trusting that this helps you a bit, I’m gratified by your comments about my daughter. She’s a blessing of inestimable value.”