Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Nine Steps


Here is the question someone asked over at my tumblr
“Dear Sir,
How, may I ask, did these stupendous shorts come to be? An actual paint-pair of shorts, or did you get all Pollock with a paintbrush? I've some pants which were stained with a madras bow tie (in the pocket, went into the wash), and need some more dirtying up.
Many thanks,
Percy Chatsworth”
And my answer…
Percy...it's easy and inexpensive--compared to the Ralph Lauren ones that they were asking like 200 bucks for a few seasons ago. Remember?
Here's the 9 Step Process
1. Get an old pair of beat up khakis.
2. Find a little kid.
3. Round up all of your leftover paint from every school project, house painting endeavors and model car creating.
4. Give the kid permission to splash the trousers with paint.
5. Watch their glee as they revel in getting away with something scandalous.
6. Leave the splattered trou outside in the sun to cure-dry-permeate-bake.
7. Wash 'em (Of course separately-you turd)
8. Dry 'em
9. Wear 'em
Onward. In the paint. 
ADG II

10 comments:

Percy Chatsworth said...

Splendid!

Main Line Sportsman said...

Maybe we should be discussing 12 steps....

Anonymous said...

(Step 1a) Make sure your Belgian shoes are secured in a paint proof location.

Scott Alexander said...

Though I wouldn't try to pull this off, this post reminds me yet again why I enjoy your writing and personal style so much. It's that gentlemanly 'f*** it' attitude that resonates... as opposed to the 'f*** you, I'm better than you' attitude that resonates from Fred Castleberry and his preciously-paint-spattered-pant-wearing ilk.

Maison de lin said...

Hello,

I'm your newest follower and your blog is verry interesting mix of style.

Greetings from Belgium
Jérôme

Anonymous said...

i said it befoe an' im'a say it again...ADG, you one bad mammajamma

Giuseppe said...

Gonna let the boy and the girl wreck me some khakis this weekend!

ADG said...

G-Man...I'd love to see the boy and the girl again. My Boston projects have come to a standstill at present.

Badmamjamma...No. I'm just crazy.

ScottieBoy...I like the way you differentiate the "it and you" thang. And I'm not gonna jump on the Castleberry thing right now. I gave McNairy and some of those guys hell last year. But all of it/them seem so overstudied.

ADG said...

JeromeBelgium...thanks for the kind words. I've never been to Belgium. I've gotta come up there next time I'm in Paris. I need to visit the little factory that makes the Belgian shoes that I wear.

Anonymous said...

"this post reminds me yet again why I enjoy your writing and personal style so much. It's that gentlemanly 'f it' attitude that resonates... as opposed to the 'f you, I'm better than you' attitude"

Scott Alexander, that is so well stated and I agree with you 150%.

-Flo