Thursday, March 22, 2012

TED



Yes. I admit it. I've been living under a rock. And because I've been subterranean, I've just now discovered TED. Shut up.

I'm not a fashion guy. I'm a color-texture-fuzzy dice devotee who appreciates style. But I appreciated the story that Johanna Blakley tells about copyrights or more precisely, the absence of copyrights and its correlation to creativity and financial flourish. I've litigated (I didn't litigate a damn thing--let's get it straight here--I paid to litigate) intellectual property issues before. It's messy and it costs more than divorce. I'm still a believer in I.P. rights but the construct for keeping the proverbial I.P. Jeannie in the bottle has been turned on its head.

"Copyright law's grip on film, music and software barely touches the fashion industry ... and fashion benefits in both innovation and sales, says Johanna Blakley. At TEDxUSC 2010, she talks about what all creative industries can learn from fashion's free culture."

5 comments:

Turling said...

TED is like crack. Stop before you start.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, even as someone who was once fascinated by Intellectual Property rights (Huey Lewis' New Drug vs Ghostbusters, Geo Harrison's Sweet Lord is so fine, Pink Protection for insulating Panthers, etc.) anyway, I am not sure that I can listen to this woman for 15 minutes. The dichotomy between an idea and its expression is everything. Almost everything else is labels. How many different ways do we WANT there to be to make trousers? On top of everything else, do we really want one man to own the idea of, say French Cuffs or belts with buckles? Or even platform shoes?

The fashion industry is like many other industries, such as Professional Hockey or Waste Management Consulting, only not so friendly or well behaved. Lately, there has been an ugly spat brewing over red soles, because somebody thinks he is entitled to be the only one who does red soles. The rest of us will have to make do with brick or auburn or garnet or burgundy or dark pink or strawberry or exsanguinate.


Ted E. Buoy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've been watching the TED videos on netflix watch instantly with my wife, quite entertaining.

ADG said...

Turling...it's too late.

Ted. EEEE. Buoy. I've just copyrighted--South Carolina.

Dmitri...looks like you said it twice.