Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Pleasures

Well there is Marrakesh and all of the associated sentient triggers there. Sounds, textures, and colors in the souks. Those great kilim and other colorful textiles house slippers that seem like just the right things when you are there—only to get them home and declare “now where the hell will I ever wear these things again”. And the smells…some not so good and most others really great.

But there was also Skeets Barbecue near Darlington South Carolina. Their sweet tea that after my being gone from the South for over twenty-five years throws me into a diabetic swirl after one glass. But the vinegar based barbecue cuts that filmy sugar right out of your mouth. Nice.

Then of course there’s boiled peanuts and my mother’s homemade sourdough bread fresh out of the oven. Hot. With my aunt Kat’s plum preserves comingled with melted butter. And there was Tant’s in Birmingham Alabama and cocktails and red meat at Rule’s on Maiden Lane in London—preferably in the room upstairs—the private one where Bertie, Prince of Wales entertained his paramour Lily Langtry.

A Kir Royale or a French 75 in Paris after traipsing through Musee Carnivalet. And dinner at Le Grand Colbert is appealing again, too. Now since the booth that Jack Nicholson and Dianne Keaton occupied during the filming of Something’s Gotta Give has been requested over the last decade by a thousand tourists and thus thankfully the crowds have moderated. Roast chicken there but also chicken from a roadside stand on a dodgy side street in San Juan—eaten without utensils and washed down with a cold beer. All while standing.


Maybe I’ll wear my funny house slippers…maybe a different one on each foot. Then I’ll be like a Marrakesh bazaar. You won’t know what to look at first.

19 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

well, hullo. long time, no see. missed you. xo

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL that you’re back!

Anonymous said...

Miss your posts. Hope all is well with you.

Johnny said...

You're back!

Reggie Darling said...

Welcome home, dude.
Regge

Anonymous said...

Pleasures then, ok Max. Well for pleasures there's my frequent twirl through Toad's blogroll, my twirl through Mrs. Blandings, twirl through Prunella, twirl through Ivy Style, through PrepGraceOfGod, through Muffy Aldrich, through ADG II, when wham wham WHAM, quit flat breathing, now waiting for the bone scan. My baby brother died a week ago, I will never EVER recover, so on to Reggie Darling's blogroll to discover that you, Max, are experiencing PLEASURE again, it took you THIS long, to which I say, Praise Jesus, there's hope for us all if we just give it time and let it rip in the interim. What utter edge of life/death misery you have been through Max. Your TMBLR narrative account should be sent to the New Yorker, second best is I sent it to Prunella, we wrung hands together coast-to-coast, fingers crossed for Lily's recovery. Don't print this. You inspire us/me, and we/I love you from afar. -Flo

Claire M. Johnson said...

Glad to see you back! You've been missed.

Joacim said...

They all sound like fine pleasures indeed.
Happy to see a sign of life. I was wondering how you’ve been the other day, quite randomly. I guess it was the sighting of a Belgian shoe that triggered it.
Here’s to a happy future.

Anonymous said...

Sweet mercy, you're back. D

ADG said...

Thanks everyone. I really do miss telling my stories and I'm going to try and write something at least once a week. Flo, I'm sorry about the loss of your baby brother. It's always hard. What I've learned in these last three years is that life is so damned fragile.

Onward.

NCJack said...

I am in point of actual and true fact exceptionally pleased on your return, Bubba.

tjtevlin said...

Onward

Fraser Tartan said...

Great to see you back!

Unknown said...

can you post about the big ebay sell off?

Anonymous said...

Happiest holidays to you and your girl.
Many thanks again for all of your shared writings again!
😀
Scaleworm

Mr. Sidetable said...

Oh thank goodness! Welcome back.

Suburban Princess said...

Greetings from The Great White North. Glad to see you are still writing...and prompting memories of my time ib Morocco...and Paris..and NYC...and all the magificent places. Happy New Year to you and LFG!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see you posting again. Looking forward to some more in 2018!

UWO said...

Very happy to have stumbled across theses new missives...