Thursday, May 20, 2010

LFG and Herbie Hancock

I’m a proud papa every day. This morning I’m even prouder…still floating on the joy of last night’s elementary school music recital. God reminds me of what remains good and right with the world when I see thriving children. There is a light inside of me…I’m sure not unlike most parents…the glows uniquely when fueled by my child. And it was burning wide ass open last night.
Y’all might remember last year’s recital…the third graders play the Recorder and I fully expected the recital to be fun but appropriately grounded in Rootie Tootie Taxi and Twinkle Twinkle. I was blown away last year by these little third graders playing The Girl from Ipanema and Tick Tock by the Vaughn Brothers. I loved elementary school chorus and music but our teachers weren’t nearly as creative and diverse with our song options. 
The gift that LFG and her peers have is a teacher who is unequivocally living his calling and leveraging his gift. Man...when you can land on that sweet spot during life’s journey—you’ve got it made.
So what does daddy swathe in for the soiree? I needed to rig up for the evening before my morning commute to the office…a driver and a five iron away for Mickelson or Tiger…a driver….utility wedge out of the woods after taking a penalty for moving my ball and getting caught…a sand wedge out of the trap on the opposite side of the fairway…a three wood…a utility wedge out of the woods adjacent to the green…a three iron to run it up on the green…style points be damned…three putt and I’m at the office. (This shot's for the ladies)
Easy enough…cream linen trews courtesy of Ralph…oldie but goodie Flusser 3/2 cotton-linen-silk…open patch peak lapelled…fuzzy diced sportcoat…Belgians and a powder blue table cloth from Paul Stuart.
By the way, I’ll do an update on my office relocation sometime soon. Gonna re-hang about a zillion caricatures tomorrow.
I was relegated to the back row for LFG’s school play so I made sure to get a front row seat for the concert. I even saved a seat for LFG’s mama. But LFG and I had enough time to grab some ice cream before the concert...ice cream settles nerves. Shut up.
Now keep in mind a few things. First, it’s my daughter so every squeaky honk and shrill report that emanates from this little Benny Goodman sounds perfect to me. Also, we ain’t playing Recorders this year. These instruments are a bit harder to play so you’ll understand when I say that the songs were a bit…shall we say…unique. Yes, that’s it—unique.
So what songs did they perform? I couldn’t tell you if my life depended on it…until that last selection. Just as amusing and entertaining as The Girl from Ipanema was last year…Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock. 
In all fairness and transparency let me say that Mr. G.’s accompaniment on his electric piano was crucial. His melodious complement was a constant unguent for the plethora of bad notes and squawks. Errant notes and squawks that made it all the more entertaining…you’ve heard me say before that there’s beauty in the flaws.
One of the highlights of the concert was this superb saxophone player…another music teacher in the school system and a professional jazz musician as well. The kids were in awe of her participation and it set a superb example for what can be accomplished through hard work and talent. A group of fifth grade standouts were selected to perform solos. I’m sure that a couple of these cats are still jazzed this morning from their time in the spotlight.

So enjoy some Watermelon Man from the Master…Mr. Hancock. There is a longer version fronting Miles Davis on YouTube that’s pretty cool. I’ve got a Miles Davis—Brooks Brethren post coming soon.

Onward…blissfully…ADG

20 comments:

Kathy said...

I loved the elementary music scene with my boys, and now the middle school program is even better. I hope LFG stays with it!

James said...

I love the twinkle in her eyes in the concert close-up. And thanks for the great morning music.

M.Lane said...

How lucky you are to have been there for the show! It seems like the perfect evening to me.

And your statement about hitting that sweet spot in life is just perfect.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Pigtown*Design said...

One of the middle schools here has the most incredible jazz band. Hope that LFG continues with her musical studies.

LPC said...

You're a better man than I. I would break into open laughter during my son's band recitals. The honking of the saxophone, oh my god. Makes me crack up even now, remembering.

Patsy said...

Kids making music is always all good. It may be unique, but it's good. You are lucky that LFG gets to have that experience in school. I remember music class with joy.

Sandra said...

Well, now you are
1. Best Dad
2. Best-Dressed Dad
3. Best Writer
4. Best EX-husband {you're in a minority on that one}
5. Best-Dressed in your office I'm sure.
6. Dad of cutest daughter
And to think that music, art, et al. are the first things cut when funds are low. Abomination really, isn't it?

Hope you are having a great day.

xoxo

Main Line Sportsman said...

Very cool that your little hipster is blowing clarinet and experiencing Jazz. Having previously owned a Jazz Club in Philly for several years I can attest to the importance of exposing our kids to the only true and indigineous American art form...at an early age.
That teacher is to be commended.

Gail, in northern California said...

I know you've got to have some flaws somewhere but, for the life of me, I can't find any ('cept those long, hot showers for your sport coats).

You are so kind and thoughtful, setting a fine example for your little golden-haired girl...not the least of which was saving a seat for her mother.

Gail, in northern California said...

I forgot to mention how grateful we are for those "shots for the ladies".

JMW said...

Congrats to LFG on her concert! She's such a cutie. And, so wonderful that she has a dedicated music teacher. All schools should be blessed with such a person.

Toad said...

As much as I enjoyed the kids school programs, I find I don't miss them a lick. I'm perfectly happy just sitting in the shade enjoying your turn at bat, and sharing these wonderful stories with us.

Kathie Truitt said...

I DO miss the school programs ((sniff-sniff)). I'll live vicariously through LFG. Trust me, these times go by waaaaayyy too fast. Gee, on behalf of all ladies everywhere, throughout the universe (yes, sarcasm - hee!) thank you so much!! You know I'm joshin' ya!

ADG said...

Toad...I understand. My mother is the baby of ten. She said that by the time she came along her parents were flat out of juice.

JMW..yes indeed.

Gail...I'm glad that you are back in form. And I am flawed as hell...like everyone.

MainLiner...indeed...on all counts.

Preppy 101...man I've got you fooled!

LPC...we'll see what next year brings.

MLane...indeed.

James...thanks as always.

Kathy...I asked her what she wanted to do about the clarinet this summer and she want's to continue...I'm happy.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Errant notes and squawks? No, that's post bop -- completely intentional, I'm sure. And I see the LFG has inherited your penchant for loungey footwear. Splendid!

Got something for the soundtrack tonight, thank you!

CTS said...

Great Post and HOO-RAY for great music teachers. This band geek from way back is THOUROUGHLY impressed by Mr. G's selection...Watermelon Man?!?!?! That's inspired!

ilovelimegreen said...

ADG, I don't get your golf analogy/lingo. And the best icecream is the icecream one's father buys for you.

Summers Cottage said...

One of my favorite posts. This was great! Did you see the "60 Minutes" they did on the new director of the L.A. Philharmonic and his "system" that he used in schools in Venezuela? If I was a gazillionaire, this is where I'd put my money.

Anonymous said...

Is that a levenger circa notebook I spy on your desk?

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

Do they play classical music?